$5000 Sign On Bonus + Benefits on day one of hire!
The Genetic Counselor will work with oncology patients, and high risk cancer and maternal fetal medicine patients. Provides genetic counseling services to individuals and families according to established practices, policies and procedures within the context of the Cancer Center and Maternal Fetal Medicine service.
- Provides genetic counseling and testing to patients at risk for hereditary cancer. Assists them in making informed medical decisions based on their own personal risk assessment.
- Provides a comprehensive plan to help assist patients and their families with all aspects of the risk assessment and testing process, surveillance, surgical decision-making and follow-up care.
- Completes comprehensive family history documentation, risk assessment for cancer, education of basic genetic concepts, and completes a family genetic pedigree and detailed medical history.
- Formulates criteria and guidelines for the development of counseling plans. Participates in research efforts of the Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine.
- Coordinates and interprets genetic testing and develops a management plan based on the test results.
- Establishes and maintains a genetic database, and actively participates in ongoing research projects.
- Understands legal implications of clinical procedures. Discusses informed consent including issues of privacy, confidentiality and discrimination. Functions as a patient advocate and displays sensitivity to patients and situations.
- Master's degree and one to three years of job-related experience
- Board certified eligible as genetics counselor from the American Board of Genetics Counseling
- Statistical and analytical skills, database management
- Proficiency with MS Word and Excel.
About Danbury Hospital:
Danbury Hospital is one of the facilities that comprises the Western Connecticut Health Network, the region's premier patient-centered health care organization serving residents of Western Connecticut, and adjacent New York, known for its clinical services, the latest technological advances and a caring and highly trained staff. WCHN is a growing network with teaching facilities associated with the Yale University School of Medicine, St George's University School of Medicine, among others, located in highly desirable Fairfield County close to the excitement of New York City.
We offer an excellent benefits package including medical, vision, and dental coverage; 401(k) with match and 100% vesting; an education savings account; and more to eligible employees.