Swedish Medical Center is looking for a Child Life Specialist \(Per Diem, Variable Shift\) to work in Pediatric Float at Swedish First Hill located in Seattle, WA\.
The Child Life Specialist provides emotional and social support to patients and their families by conducting educational and recreational programs that minimize the psychological trauma for hospitalized infants, children and adolescents\.
In this position you will:
- Assess the patient's fears and anxieties regarding hospitalization, using formal and informal assessment techniques that foster appropriate coping mechanisms to allow for a healthy, constructive adaptation to stressful experiences\.
- Create a therapeutic plan for patients that incorporates developmentally appropriate intervention and play activities for the bedside and in the playroom\.
- Initiate and maintain supportive professional relationships with patients and their families that assist the families in understanding the developmental and emotional needs of their hospitalized child\.
- Document patient observations and makes recommendations for play intervention\.
- Educate Medical Imaging, Laboratory, Respiratory Care, and other ancillary departments on ways to interact with patients and their families\.
Required qualifications for this position include:
- Bachelor's Degree in Child Development, Child Life or related field
- Certified as a Child Life Specialist \(CCLS\)
- If not currently certified, must attend the next available class as presented locally by the National Child Life Council\.
- CPR Certification
- Must obtain CPR certification within three months of employment and maintain CPR certification annually\.
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- 2 years clinical experience
- Previous work experience with healthy infants, children and adolescents,as well as, working knowledge of children and/or adolescents under stress
About the First Hill Campus:
The 697\-bed tertiary\-care center on the Swedish/First Hill campus is the flagship of the Swedish health\-care system\. Swedish/First Hill has one of the most active and advanced birthing programs in Washington state and houses a Level III neonatal intensive\-care unit\. More surgeries are performed each year at Swedish/First Hill than at any other facility in the region; volumes include more total joint replacements than any other medical center in the state\.
We offer a full comprehensive range of benefits — see our website for details
Our Non\-Profit Mission: Improve the health and well\-being of each person we serve\.
Since 1910, Swedish has been a hallmark of excellence\. Swedish has grown to become the largest non\-profit health provider in the Greater Seattle area with 11,000 employees, more than 2,800 physicians and 1,700 volunteers\. Swedish is committed to being the best place to receive care, and also the best place to work\. We reward our employees with generous compensation and benefits, individualized orientation, education and a supportive work environment\. Swedish is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer\. Swedish does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, protected veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law\.
Schedule: On Call
Job Category: Other Licensed Technicians
Req ID: 147639