Performs established laboratory procedures, maintains and operates instrumentation and evaluates, interprets and reports test results while meeting quality assurance parameters. Provides information and related services as needed in assigned areas of the laboratory department.
This job description is intended to cover the minimum essential duties assigned on a regular basis. Caregivers may be asked to perform additional duties as assigned by their leader. Leadership has the right to alter or modify the duties of the position.
1) Performs routine and special clinical laboratory tests in assigned sections of the clinical laboratory, utilizing automated and non-automated equipment.
2) Accepts responsibility as Acting Charge Clinical Scientist when requested.
3) Assesses results with respect to controls, reviews results for accuracy, and communicates results of test performed to physicians and other authorized personnel.
4) Communicates problems or matters of a scientific, technical and/or administrative nature both within the department and interdepartmentally.
5) Analyzes and evaluates laboratory test results to determine inconsistent results and takes appropriate action.
6) Maintains accurate records of tests conducted, results, data and patients tested including calculation of results from supplied data, obtained data and statistics for quality assurance. Assists with accreditation readiness activities.
7) Maintains equipment in operational condition through making minor adjustments, performing scheduled maintenance, and troubleshooting major problems utilizing departmental resources and manufacturer’s telephone trouble lines.
8) Provides instruction in basic theory, laboratory technique, instrumentation, and application of laboratory test procedures to medical residents, new scientists or technicians and students.
9) Performs related duties such as obtaining blood specimens, processing specimens, and clerical activities. Assists supervisors in development of technical procedures and protocols.
10) Maintains clean and efficient work area and replenishes supplies as necessary.
11) Prioritizes workload to maximize efficiency while meeting patient and physician needs.
12) Coordinates Point of Care Testing and/or physician office oversight as needed.
13) Serves as a role model for consistent demonstration of Sparrow Health System’s Customer Service Behavioral Standards of Performance, by respecting the Privacy and Confidentiality of those we serve.
14) Demonstrates knowledge and respects patient, service provider, organizational confidentiality and HIPAA Security procedures and protocols as defined under the HIPAA Privacy and Security Procedures.
15) Follows established HIPAA privacy procedures when using and/or disclosing protected health information.
16) Maintains and protects patients’ rights under the HIPAA Privacy Standards.
*Demonstrates knowledge and maintains and respects patient right to privacy by following the HIPAA Privacy and Security policies and procedures. *Adheres to ICARE values and standards of behavior (Innovation, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, Excellence). *Role model behaviors that value the diversity of our caregivers, patients and customers and supports creating an environment that is inclusive, welcoming and respectful. *Communicates with patients, families and customers using AIDET (Acknowledge, Introduce, Duration, Explanation, Thank). *Works in a safe manner and promptly reports any hazards identified in the work environment or related to assigned responsibilities. *Adheres to policies and procedures designed to avoid, prevent and reduce the spread of communicable diseases.
*Bachelor's degree in Medical Technology or Clinical Laboratory Science. *Nationally recognized certification or eligible (ASCP) as a MT(ASCP), MLS (ASCP) or CLS (ASCP), BS(ASCP), C(ASCP), H(ASCP) or BB(ASCP). Must be certified within 12 months of hire and recertify if/as required.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills
Demonstrate knowledge of disease processes as related to patient conditions and pertinent laboratory testing performed. Demonstrate ability to perform simultaneous assays, calculations, interpret test results and generate accurate reports. A basic knowledge of accuracy, precision, normal range and correlation with existing methods including evaluation of clinical specimens for suitability for testing and presence of interfering substances. Possess a thorough understanding of the underlying scientific principles of laboratory testing.
Sparrow Health System is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.