Location: Amherst, Ohio
About Akron Children's Hospital
Akron Children's Hospital has been caring for children since 1890, and our pediatric specialties are ranked among the nation's best by U.S. News & World Report. With two hospital campuses, regional health centers and more than 50 primary and specialty care locations throughout Ohio, we're making it easier for today's busy families to find the high-quality care they need. In 2020, our health care system provided more than 1.1 million patient encounters. We also operate neonatal and pediatric units in the hospitals of our regional health care partners. Every year, our Children's Home Care Group nurses provide thousands of in-home visits, and our School Health nurses manage clinic visits for students from preschool through high school. With our Quick Care Online virtual visits and Akron Children's Anywhere app, we're here for families whenever and wherever they need us. Learn more at akronchildrens.org.
- To treat every child as we would our own
- To treat others as they would like to be treated
- To turn no child away for any reason
Prior to the start date, full COVID-19 vaccination is required for employment. Full vaccination is defined as 14 days after the last received vaccination. Boosters are excluded from this requirement.
We are seeking people who are committed to fostering a diverse environment in which patients, family and staff from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed, included and can thrive.
Full - Time: 40 Hours Per Week
1st Shift: Flexible Shift
Monday - Friday
Location: Amherst - Onsite
$5,000 Sign-on Bonus w/2 Yr. Commitment
The Mental Health Therapist I apply graduate-level counseling skills/social work under the direct supervision of an independently licensed staff member as stipulated by the Ohio Counselor, Social Worker, and Marriage and Family Therapist Board. The duties performed include the psychosocial assessment of individuals, adolescents, families, and groups and the provision of graduate-level clinical social work/counseling interventions as appropriate to client needs in the context of the department. This position will complete the 3,000 hours of supervised clinical work required by the state licensure board to obtain the clinical endorsement required to practice independently.
- Conducts initial comprehensive patient and family psychosocial assessment, and triages care accordingly.
- Communicates with staff regarding assessment, treatment/interventions and interdisciplinary care plan through documentation and meetings such as patient rounds.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide competent care for the physical, psychological, social, educational, and safety needs of the patients served regardless of age.
- Provides case management for assigned patients that involves consultation and collaboration with hospital and community professionals and programs in order to provide the most appropriate and comprehensive care.
- Consistent use of evidence-based trauma and risk assessment tools and application of crisis intervention skills when indicated, and determine formally the need for a referral to the Emergency Department or more suitable community agency.
- Ethical and timely completion of documentation as expected in the context of the department.
- Other duties as required.
Outpatient Add On:
- Complete Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) interventions in addition to other clinical evidence-based treatment modalities to assist patient and families in the completion of their individualized service plans.
PHP/IOP Add On:
- Use of CBT and DBT (Dialectical Based Therapy) intervention through individual, group, and family therapy, to support client in achieving therapeutic goals.
PIRC Add On:
- Works in a fast-paced environment conducting risk assessments and using crisis intervention skills as needed.
- Triage and assess intake calls received from families and community referral sources. Conducts preliminary diagnostic assessment over telephone to assess the need for services for children and adolescents seeking psychiatric and psychological services.
- Conducts comprehensive risk assessment either face to face in the ED or through telehealth to maximize continuity of care with the family.
- Engages in consultation and collaboration with hospital and community professionals and programs in order to develop and communicate a crisis treatment plan for patients and families and provides recommendations for follow-up.
Substance Use Add On:
- Use of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy intervention as well as other evidence-based practices, such as Motivational Interviewing.
- Involve family in therapy sessions and provide behavior modification techniques as clinically indicated.
- Experience working with electronic medical record software, such as EPIC, is preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office [Outlook, Excel, Word] or similar software is required.
- Experience providing clinical services through telehealth is preferred.
Education and Experience
- Education: Master's Degree in Social Work or Clinical Mental Counseling is required.
- Certification: Licensed Social Worker (LSW) or Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) required.
- Years of relevant experience: Minimum 1-2 years of relevant experience in preferred.
- Years of supervisory experience: None.
Akron Children's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with Disabilities.
EEO is the law, please click/copy paste the link below to learn more: