Location: Miami, Florida
Mental Health/Social Services
Provides social work services to pediatric patients and families. Maximizes the benefit of health care services provided and enhances adjustments to diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, and transition to the patient's home and community. Provides emotional support, advocacy, and community referrals.
Job Specific Duties
- Completes in-depth psychosocial assessment interviews and formulates treatment plans that include impressions, establishing supportive relationships with families and providing therapeutic interventions.
- Conducts comprehensive pre-discharge screenings within 24 hours of admission to identify diverse needs. Collaborates closely with multidisciplinary team members such as case managers to implement safe, timely, cost effective discharge plans or transfers. Keeps families well informed of completed/pending interventions and provides them with realistic options.
- Documents in the patient’s electronic health record within 24 hours of communicating with patient/family; regularly enters team-oriented follow-up notes; when requested, generates Social Work activity reports.
- Makes decisions in a self-directed manner, consults with supervisor or director regarding complex cases and discusses pertinent cases with fellow social workers. Thoroughly presents case transfer information to next shift peers.
- Effectively manages assigned caseload while prioritizing cases based on urgency, acuity and overall impact on families. Assists with off-service case assignments/rotations as well as with departmental scheduling/staffing needs.
- Responds promptly to crisis situations. Thoroughly addresses end of life feelings/concerns. Provides patients/families with appropriate support as they face difficult decisions. Monitors compliance with death packet content completion, makes timely referrals to Life Alliance and assists families with funeral resources.
- Accountable to take the lead on trauma, child abuse/neglect, human trafficking and domestic violence situations. Reports cases to appropriate protective service agencies for further investigation per hospital policy.
- Responds to requests for information and referrals. Serves as a resource figure to families and team members regarding available Social Work services and community agencies.
- Participates in diverse departmental or hospital projects/activities, committees, initiatives, leadership councils and other supportive/educational endeavors.
- Participates in the orientation process of new social workers, interns and multidisciplinary team members. When indicated, serves as a field instructor or task supervisor for Social Work students.
Minimum Job Requirements
- Master's Degree Social Work (Required)
- CPR HEART maintain active throughout employment
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- 1 year internship or work experience in an acute health care related field; social work setting highly preferred.
- 1 year of experience in a pediatric health care setting preferred. Direct work experience with families preferred.
- Previous training focusing on end of life decisions, grief, and bereavement preferred.
- Expertise in crisis intervention and risk assessment preferred.
- Expertise in pediatric growth and development preferred as well as regarding issues related to adolescence.
- Expertise in coordinating and facilitating support groups preferred.
- Ability to adapt and react calmly in stressful situations.
- Able to perform and complete thorough initial assessments.
- Ability to demonstrate strong patient and family advocacy skills.
- Knowledge of diverse cultural and spiritual perspectives regarding death and bereavement.
- Knowledge of community resource systems, diverse treatment approaches, Florida state laws regarding child abuse and domestic violence, Baker Act procedures, HIV/AIDS related guidelines, and Social Work theories/practices.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive, protected health information.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English. Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
- Able to assume on-call, holiday, and weekend back-up responsibilities.
Primary Location :
Florida-Miami-Nicklaus Children's Hospital - Main Hospital Campus